Saturday, July 15, 2017

ESRI User Conference Day 0 [8-9 July, 2017]

Hi all,

This is Abdul Moiz, M2 student from Kawasaki Research Group. Today, I would like to write about my experience participating in the Esri (Environment Systems Research Institute) User Conference 2017, one of the largest platforms for presenting research & development related to GIS (Geographic Information Systems).

Crossing the West Coast
I left Japan on 8th July and arrived on the same day in Los Angeles, U.S. because of the international date line, so it was a very long day for me. Coincidentally, I met my middle school friend over there, who was studying at the University of Southern California (USC). We met after almost 10 years, and my friend was kind enough to give me a tour of their campus.

The mascot of USC
Their campus was pretty huge and had a more historic feel to it. However, due to summer vacations, there were not a lot of people on campus at the moment. The general library looked like something out of a Harry Potter movie.

General Library at USC
I found the flags of both Pakistan and Japan over there, among many other countries.


About 45% of the students were international in this university.

In the evening my friend took me to the San Monica Pier which also has a very nice beach next to it.

Santa Monica Pier

Santa Monica Beach
The next day I woke up early and took the Amtrak train from Union Station in Los Angeles to  Santa Fe Depot in San Diego.

Union Station, Los Angeles

Santa Fe Depot, San Diego
San Diego had a much nicer weather than Los Angeles. The Esri UC was supposed to be held at the San Diego Convention Center which was right next to the harbor.

San Diego Convention Center

I went to the convention center to collect my badge in advance and found the signs of Esri all over the convention center.

At the Convention Center

I also attended the orientation sessions for new participants so as to get the most out the conference in the next few days.

Orientation Session for new participants
Finally, I went back to my hostel which located in the Gaslamp Quarter, one of the most popular places in San Diego.

Gaslamp Quarter, San Diego

No comments:

Post a Comment